Simply visit my YouTube Channel to watch all my Guided Meditation Videos

How To Meditate - Part 1

I thought it might be useful if I shared some of the basics about how I meditate, right from the beginning.

There are various meditation techniques which I will also talk about on my blog, but let's start with some practical tips that will be relevant for all techniques.

1. Take the phone off the hook/turn off your mobile and if you live in a shared household, tell people you don't want to be disturbed! The last thing you want is a subconscious worry that the phone might ring or someone might barge into your room!

2. Make yourself comfortable. Now, most people might say that you should be sitting in order to meditate, however I have always found that lying down is good too for me. The important thing is that your spine is straight, not hunched over. Try to be warm, maybe put a throw around you if the room is cool. Your temperature can fall when you are still for a while, so bear that in mind. You don't want to come round after the meditation and feel cold. If you need cushions to be comfy, go right ahead! Sometimes I lie on a sleeping bag (or 2!) and put cushions under my head and a blanket over me. If I'm sitting up I put a cushion in my lower back and sometimes under my feet. It feels comforting!

3. Let your hands rest gently in your lap. Let your body relax. Then close your eyes.

4. Take a few deep breaths. I recommend you 'ground' yourself now, before you start a meditation. One way to do this is to imagine that there are roots going down from your feet (like tree roots) into the ground. Let them extend right down, and then it can be lovely to imagine they enter a beautiful crystal that is buried deep in the earth. Picture the crystal's energy coming up the roots into your feet and your body. If you don't ground yourself you could become too 'floaty' and light headed and open yourself to undesirable energies.

5. You are now ready to begin any type of meditation!

6. When you come out of any meditation, breathe yourself back 'into your body' and feel your feet strongly on the ground. Gently wriggle your fingers and toes. Stretch. Breathe deeply some more and picture yourself back in your room. It can be good to imagine a bubble of light all around you too. Then, when you are ready, gently open your eyes.


I will talk about some different ways to meditate in my next posts!

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog. It inspires me a lot.Thanks for sharing this amazing meditation tips. Really very helpful!

    ReplyDelete